Tuesday 18 September 2007

A Grumpy Old Journo asks: Why make extra work for yourself?

NOTE FROM IAN SKINNER: I AM NO LONGER UPDATING THIS BLOG. I'VE DONE A U-TURN, TRYING TO SIMPLIFY MY TASKS AS I SEEK TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF MY ORIGINAL BLOG. From today (19 October 2007) all my posts will go to Grumpy Old Journo.

ALTHOUGH THERE WAS MERIT IN THE STRUCTURE I DEVELOPED, IT TOOK A LOT OF EXTRA WORK, ESPECIALLY TO INSTAL AND TEST INTERNAL HYPERLINKS, AND IT INCREASED MY BROADBAND FEES (partly because BigPond charges for uploads as well as downloads). I'D RATHER PUT THE EXTRA TIME AND EFFORT INTO IMPROVING THE QUALITY AND FREQUENCY OF POSTING ON GRUMPY OLD JOURNO.

IT MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN CONFUSING TO VIEWERS. ONE FRIEND DESCRIBED IT AS "ALL OVER THE PLACE".

Here's what I'd hoped for, as described in What, Me Grumpy? at the time I decided to stop posting to it:

This blog is an easy-to-use "contents page" for my existing Grumpy Old Journo blog, as well as the currently inactive Grumpy Old Tutor and, in due course, some other associated blogs I may launch.

Update (Sept 12): In July, this blog recorded that pioneering conservationist Vincent Serventy, 91, had gone into a nursing home. He passed away last Saturday. Read more, with a link to the SMH obit

Latest post (Sept 1): Expropriating Aboriginal land for five years, abolishing entry permits, closing the CDEP, seizing Aboriginal-owned business assets and renting them back at commercial rates – what's that got to do with stamping out child abuse? Read more

Previous post (Aug 20): Newspaperman Col Allan, now famed for getting Kevin Rudd legless and into a strip club, may be a larrikin, but to me he's a gentleman larrikin. Read more

Whatever (updated Sept 7) and Reaching Out (July 24): Just scroll down


Caricature of blog author Ian Skinner



Leading caricaturist Tony Rafty sketched me in 1982. Quarter of a century later, I no longer drink beer and wine at the same time – Ian Skinner


Have you read my other recent posts?

Our tribal memories of the Great Depression don't always mesh with careful historical studies. Read more

So Wesfarmers has sweetened its deal (Sept 5) to take over Coles. Wesfarmers may be betting the corporation on its ability to turn Coles around, but as this earlier post says, I'm risking my domestic harmony if I've called the play wrong. Read more

1 comment:

michael rosenberg said...

Hi Grumpy

Am about same age as you and just opened a blog "grumpy old friend" also have put up a site called www.grumpyoldfriends.com have a look . Its about to be turned into a more professional site so will need good old journo grumps like you to contribute.. Interested?
mike